Monday, March 18, 2013

Corned Beef and Cabbage

I am not really into the lesser holidays - of which St. Patrick's day is one. I did wear a green shirt to church yesterday, but after seeing pretty much the entire ward dressed in green, I wished I had worn my stripey pink shirt instead. Because that's how I roll.

It seems like everywhere in the blogosphere people were saying, "Time for corned beef and cabbage! Irish pride FTW!" I have only had corned beef and cabbage one time, when I was in college, and I thought it was pretty gross. I'll tell you all about it.

I was seeing someone at the time who was pretty much obsessed with Celtic culture and the British Isles. He hosted a huge St. Paddy's day bash at his apartment and as the significant other I of course attended. He made a HUGE mess of corned beef and cabbage and dished up a pretty significant helping for me. I think it had been cooked in crock pot. The beef was kind of dry and was difficult to cut into pieces with a knife, much less chew. The time spent in the crock pot had definitely taken a toll on the cabbage, which had taken on the color and texture of boogers. I took two bites and decided I had better not eat any more if I wanted to keep what had been swallowed from coming back up.

Unfortunately, as will often happen in relationships when you're young and inexperienced, I was to shy and embarrassed to actually tell him how much I loathed the food. I put the plate on the kitchen counter as quietly and surreptitiously as I could, and then pretended that I had no idea to whom the plate belonged.

"Somebody didn't eat their corned beef and cabbage!"
"Hmm. That's weird. I wonder who that was?"

And that is why I served tacos for dinner last night.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Beth,
    I have found your lovely blog, which I really like it. I enjoyed to read your posts and family stories.
    I was wondering if you would be interested in sharing your posts and ideas on Glipho? It's a quite new social publishing platform for bloggers like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Corned Beef and Cabbage, but you have to cook it right, if it is down wrong it can be nasty, obviously you had a bad experience, but if you get a chance to get some cooked right, you may have a difference of opinion. My husband claims to detest it, although I don't know if he had actually had any that was actually cooked correctly, he won't try it when I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm cabbage! My mom makes it for New Years, she smothers it in a pot with chuck steak and Cajun seasoning. I guess that's not so Irish...

    ReplyDelete

I do so love comments. They make me feel important.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails