Monday, February 4, 2013

Holland's Socks: Part Three

Part One
Part Two

Here is the yarn all dyed:

And rolled up into a ball, along with the other yarn I am using for the heel and the toe.

 The coral-colored yarn is left over from a pair of socks I made for my sister-in-law for Christmas last year. It's spun fingering weight from mill-ends that I hand-dyed using a method that required the use of a casserole dish and my oven.

The Squeaker wanted to pose with the yarn, but the sun was in his eyes so the best we could manage was this pained "Augh! The Natural Light burns!" expression. 

So that leads us to Step Three: Casting On! 

I didn't think to take a picture until I had already turned the heel and picked up the stitches for the gusset. About this time, just for fun I tried it on the Squeaker's foot to see how it looked. 

This is where we ran into a problem. See those nice orangey diamonds near the top? Well, it turns out that I knit the stranded work way to tight, and it was difficult to get the Squeaker's foot through them. Since Holland's foot is a full two shoe sizes larger than the Squeaker's, it's just not going to work. They will have to go. 


There's just no point to knitting a sock for someone if she can't even get it on her foot, so I'll have to frog it back. I think I'll leave the leg plain yellow, but I do so enjoy the pattern so much, I will place it on the foot near the toe. Then, even if I knit it too tight a second time, the consequences won't be nearly so dire. 

It's a bummer to undo it all, but its not nearly as bad as when I was making my Sisyphus Socks for The Husband and I had to frog various parts about a million times. That was brutal. This is just annoying enough that I'm going to leave it until tomorrow afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. are important!
    Please give me a call or email me @ (my son isgraduating in June)


I do so love comments. They make me feel important.


Related Posts with Thumbnails