Thursday, January 17, 2013

Inculcating Proper Values

I have no idea how I'm doing on raising my boys to love the Lord, and all that. The concept of "reverence" is somewhat lost on the Squeaker (age 3 1/2). To date, he has said one (1) prayer on his own. I guess we have a lot to work up to. I don't really know a lot about what goes on in The Cookie's head, as he is nonverbal, but I'm pretty sure he wants a puppy. Maybe when you're older, kid.

There is one, thing, however, that I know they are absorbing. A love of spinning. I've been doing a LOT of spinning in the last couple of weeks, and the Squeaker finds it fascinating. How many other 3-year-olds do you know who can correctly identify the flyer, scotch tension, and the treadles of a spinning wheel?

I have a couple of back issues of Spin-Off Magazine that I like to peruse every once in a while. If anyone has any back issues they want to get rid of....(ha ha, I'm kidding of course. No one wants to get rid of back issues of that magazine. They are like gold dust.) The Squeaker has taken an interest - he was very pleased to see an advertisement for the Kromski Sonata (the wheel that I own) and then asked to go through the whole thing, page by page, to look at ALL the wheels. "I want to see LOTS and LOTS of spinning wheels, mom!" He says he wants a Loet Julia for his "wery own." Maybe when you're older, kid. We might be getting a puppy before we get a second wheel.

He saw a picture in the magazine of a lady spinning and he asked, "Who is she making that for? Is she making a hat?" (he REALLY liked watching me make that one hat for his daddy. "Are you carding da wool, mom? Is it brown wool? From a lambie? Wow, it's wiwly [really] nice.") And then he reminds me that he wants a red hat and some red and brown mittens.

The Cookie hasn't quite got the same grasp of the subject, but he learned this week through experience that it is a really bad idea to try to touch the flyer when it's moving.

In all seriousness, though, I would really love to pass on a love of spinning to at least one of my kids. I know it's traditionally a female thing, but I have no problem teaching a male child if he wants to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do so love comments. They make me feel important.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails